5 Things They Don’t Teach you in Highschool:
1) You’re going to leave the house at 2AM, 16 with nothing in your pockets but 50 bucks and a bus ticket. It won’t feel real. You’re going to think you’re leaving, but you aren’t going anywhere.
2) Swallow your fucking pride and go back inside. Lock your bedroom door, put your hands over your ears, bring your knees to your chest and when you’re ready, let your walls disintegrate and the sadness flood in, because baby I promise you, you’ll feel better if you just let yourself drown. Even if it’s the third goddamn time that week.
3) He’s going to taste like Newports, Trident spearmint and desperation. You’re going to taste like Lime-a-Rita’s and anxiety. You will tell yourself you need this. But you don’t. I promise you. You don’t. You don’t.
4) You’re going to have girlfriends who fall for boys who treat them like absolute shit. Do not learn from them. If a boy calls you a bitch, spit in his face and leave.
5) Do it even if it’s the hardest thing you’ve ever had to do. Even if you’re still convinced that he was hiding galaxies beneath his skin. Because baby I promise you, he was the always dark night sky and you were always the full moon. No question bout’ it.”
So here is the awful, honest truth:
Your pain tolerance will increase.
Give it a few more sleepless nights
A few more unmet needs.
Wait a couple more loveless years
Gain a little weight
Be the reason for a shattered heart
Make a few more awful mistakes.
Hurt the people who adore you
Watch them leave or make them stay
Sleep until the sun finally sets
And make somebody pay.
Cry until your throat is raw
Hate somebody kind
Injure your sanity beyond repair
Let yourself fall behind.
The truth is that it will hurt
It will prove how much you can bear
The truth is that you will be disappointed
And this I promise: none of it will seem fair.
But this, too, is true:
You have barely begun
And there are awfully sad songs
Still worth being sung
Scarred tissue heals strong
- even in the heart -
And you do not need full vision
To walk through the dark
So when you are lost
When your chest feels weak
And no one will listen
To the truths that you speak
Remember that you don’t need to be gentle
You don’t need to be right
You don’t have to surrender
You don’t have to fight.
And there is no force that can make you obey
And there is no reason why you must stay.
warofthreeallegiances asked: Hello, I'd just like to say that I adored the sample I read from Cipher this afternoon, and it looks to be a very promising novel. I really do itch to get my hands on a copy, although it might take a while... Anyway, reading that excerpt gave the boost I needed to pick up this novel I'm writing after letting it fall slack for a while, and I'd just like to thank you for letting me come back to it, twice as experienced and full of new ideas. In other words, you're an inspiration, so, thank you!
Hiya! It’s so lovely to hear that you liked it, I really do hope you find a way to finish your own work. The secret, boring as it sounds, is a really detailed plan - try for 5000 word chapters making up a 100,000 word narrative. Let me know if you need any feedback! I have so many unfinished novels from when I was younger, and they all contributed to my growth and to later characters and plots. There’s no such thing as a failed story. Love, always - SE Bennett